March 10, 2011

Gardening 101: Announcement & Introduction!

Over the next few weeks, I will take you on a journey… a gardening journey. You see, I've never had a green thumb. Not even close. But over the past year, a conversation has crept up several times about starting a garden. It was something we wanted to do, we just never knew how.
Picture Reference

Well now is our time! With the help of a VERY gracious co-worker (who has quite the green thumb), Plow & Hearth, and HearthSong, I am pleased to announce that WE WILL CREATE A VEGETABLE GARDEN!

I plan to take you through the ups, downs, highs and lows of creating a garden from scratch, and with my friends helping out along the way... hopefully there won't be too many downs/lows!

This season we plan to grow:
Carrots
Peppers
Lettuce
Collard Greens
Tomatoes
Thyme
Basil
Oregano

For a city chic like myself, it's not too bad huh?? This will be a family adventure... one of the biggest tasks we've taken on so far.  Stay tuned for more Gardening 101 Posts! Follow us on our journey to creating a Vegetable Garden (check out all of the Gardening posts under the "Frugal Living" sections on the rightside tab)! 

I encourage you to participate and leave your comments, tips, and ideas along the way too!  Also, if you have a garden, send me your pictures to display!  The more participation, the better!



8 comments:

Turning the Clock Back said...

YAY! Another gardener! I try and post garden updates every week or two if you want to come check out mine :) Ii just put in a ton of early spring stuff (lettuces, broccoli, radishes, etc). We are in our first planting season here in Georgia. We just got a TON of rain so I hope all my radish and beet seeds didnt wash away! Everything else so far I have started from plant. (I dont have good luck wiwth seeds for some reason). I might try carrots again (failed 2 years in a row-let me known how yours go!). Still looking for things for 3 more garden rows. I will try another nursery this weekend. Good luck!

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

I'll definitely stop by and learn a few things! While we are definitely beginners, we are REALLY excited about this family project :)

Maryann said...

Love your list of veggies you'll be starting in your garden. I will definitely be stopping by to see how things progress. My goal is to get, at least, some tomatoes, spinach and lettuce planted this year. I may need to start with containers at first. I'm just a beginner as well! Best of luck to you!

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Thanks Maryann! I'd love to hear how yours turns out too!!!

The Prudent Homemaker said...

It sounds like a great beginning garden!

I would encourage you to find out your local gardening calender to learn about local planting dates for cool season and warm season vegetables. Unless you have fairly cool summers, for example, you won't want to plant lettuce and tomatoes at the same time, as lettuce is a cool season vegetable (grown spring and fall) and tomatoes are a warm season vegetable.

Pick a permanent spot for your thyme and oregano, as they are perennials, and are there to stay. Oregano will spread more, and more quickly as well.

We're harvesting lettuce and spinach now, as well as green onions, sage, rosemary, turnips, thyme, oregano and more right now.

I started by taking lots of classes, and then trial and error, and now I teach to the community. It takes time, and the first year is always the hardest (including the first year in a new location for an experienced gardener). Good luck!

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Thanks for the great tips! Wow, you're GOOD, lol! I'll have to have you back soon :)

Dirt Road Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the kind comment. If you need any advice about gardening just let me know, I would be glad to help. I viewed your site and it is very helpful and a great site for being frugal. Way to go!

Superjaxster said...

This post made me so excited for planting! I will most likely be posting some info on our garden this year on my blog at some point. ITs still too early to plant anything where I live, but we are already planning what we will grow this year. It will be our 3rd garden. Looking forward to see all the goodies you gt out of yours!