October 7, 2010

Guest Post: Feeding Four and a Budget-Friendly Recipe!

When I tell people our grocery budget is $25 a week, they are shocked. They assume we eat a lot of unhealthy, convience foods.The truth is quite the opposite. My family eats well. While we might not have a porterhouse steak every week, we do eat a variety of meals that not only taste good, but are good for us too! When I talked with Cristi about sharing one of my budget meals with you, I knew I wanted something that was tasty, easy to make, and cheap. Our dinner last night, Beef Nacho Casserole, fit all three of those categories.

Beef Nacho Casserole is a dish my mother taught me how to make. We always fixed it the same old way and while it tasted great - it got kind of old after a while. What I love about this dish is that it really can be changed to suit your tastes. Don't like ground beef? Use ground turkey or chicken instead. Not feeling the corn? Add another veggie (or three!) Just last night, I added salsa, corn, peppers, tomatoes and jalapenos.


Beef Nacho Casserole
1 pound ground beef (we used turkey bought on sale for $1)
1 can corn (I always use leftover from another night - free)
2TBSP homemade taco seasoning ($0.10?)
Peppers, tomatoes, or whatever else you'd like to add (Free from the garden)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (bought on sale & with a coupon $0.40)
Tortilla Chips (from Aldi $0.24)
Sour cream, salsa, additional cheese (toppings - optional)
Cantaloupe (Free from a family member)

Brown ground beef and drain. Transfer to a microwave safe dish, add corn, taco seasoning, and veggies. Top with cheese and microwave 3 - 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips instead of forks.

OR

Brown ground beef and drain. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5 hours. Serve with toppings, tortilla chips and cantaloupe.

Total for this meal : $1.74 with enough leftover for lunch the next day.

For more frugal recipes, be sure to visit me at Feeding Four!


3 comments:






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

Hi,

Iam interested in writing guest posts...Kindly let me know the details..Iam already following you dear...You left a message on my mommy blog!!
Thanx for joining that too!!

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

wacki04 said...

Hey Dr. Sameena! Simply shoot me an email and we'll take it from there:

wacki04 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks for stopping by!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Thanks for stopping in at Cranberry Morning today! Learning to make up a menu, a grocery list, and actually cooking, rather than picking up something from the deli, is a much-needed skill, especially in this economy!

We like Aldi too! :-)